Thursday, June 3, 2010

The art quilt pieces (photo below) were inspired by Rickie's entry into Art Quilters' recent challenge. The group was invited to use recycled toilet paper rolls to create a piece of art. Rickie first stitched her toilet paper rolls to muslin, then painted with lumiere paints, then cut the pieces up and arranged them in a pleasing fashion. In my piece, in addition to tp rolls, I added some previously embellished fabrics. The black background was altered with bleach sprayed over a stencil, as were the orange fabrics. An old piece of canvas (once used to cover clay) was torn and painted. The next step was to cut the pieces (I chose strips), and then layering of more fabrics to create the finishing edges. Oh! I forgot to mention the razzle dazzle, the beads, the upholstery faux suede, and of course the pins that are still holding it together. Thanks, Rickie! I had so much fun.






OK! I know it's kind of weird, but I've been having a blast building this thing. Her final name has not yet been given, but Johnny affectionately refers to her as Motormouth. I guess that could be appropriate! She was started as a wire chair, then she developed a footrest that looked like a tongue. (As recognized by Sandy Leal!) From there, my own overactive imagination took charge, and she's evolved into a mobile mama. The wheels are from a child's toy purchased at the goodwill store, and the majority of the sculpting was done with Aves apoxie sculpt. Tune in as she completes her instructions to me for hair, accessories and trunk booty!





This agile fairy is perched on her own oh-so-special chair. The chair was inspired by a work session at Bobbye Kee's, and was formed with wire coat hangers, then wrapped with fabrics. My fairy has developed tail feathers (still in progress!!), and has a wonderful moving object (to be installed) in the side table. She will be finished..... ? ? soon. In the meantime, I had a wonderful time with my friends Teri and Bobbye putting it together. Can't wait to show you their pieces soon.




Recycled t-shirts







This shirt was totally destroyed by one over-eager dog who jumped up on me while I was holding a glass of fermented grape beverage. ha. Using some laser cut card stock (that was intended for scrapbooking) as a stencil and some acrylic paint, I sponged some color on the significant areas. Since this photo I've also added blue crystals in a random manner, and I feel quite fancy when wearing it.



I always loved this t-shirt, but time and life had left its marks on the front. The leaf applique has unfinished edges. I used glue stick long enuf to hold it in place for the straight stitch. Some neocolor II water soluble wax pastels are new toys for me, so they got used to add shadows and highlights using principles from the class with Joen Wolfrom. Too much fun.


































No comments: